We have received numerous inquiries about our new hull material. We appreciate the interest and have compiled answers to the main questions below. Please let us know if you have additional questions on the hull or anything else.
- What is it? The fabric has been used previously in the industry, mainly for inflatable boats. The principal component is Elvaloy – a polymer that provides both toughness and flexibility.
- What are the characteristics? It it designed to have superior abrasion, tear, puncture and UV resistance to past fabrics. It does not break down over time and is resistant to changes due to prolonged exposure to heat, UV and salt water. Your boat’s hull will continue to maintain its shape, flexibility, air tightness and color – and better protect you from sharp surfaces.
- How much does it weigh? Essentially the same as our current hull material, given manufacturer’s tolerances (38.3 oz/sq yd or 1300 gr/m2).
- How does it perform vs. previous fabrics?In a Taber Abrasion H18 Test the new material performed 83% better than the old fabric (on the face, 196% better for the back side).
- New Material (Face/Back) – 1917/2000 cycles to failure
- Old Material (Face/Back) – 1050/675 cycles to failure
- Why the change? This is the fabric we wanted on our personal Folbots for the waters around Charleston, SC to deal with razor sharp oysters. If we wanted it we also wanted to offer it to all customers.
- Can I still get the black, hypalon hull? We will be phasing into the new material but will supply hypalon as supplies last. We will continue to support our lifetime guarantee for existing Folbots with hypalon hulls.
- How does it impact the cost of the boat? The new hull material does not change the price of the boat.
- What color is it? How do I clean it? The material is light gray in color which looks great and adds to visibility on the water. Light scrubbing with water cleans it well. Cleaners for inflatable boats are available but tough dirt can be cleaned with Soft Scrub.
- Can I pack it up wet? We are still testing this and will advise.
- Is it available now? Yes, we are in the process of updating the pictures on the web site but it is available now.
In general, we are very excited about the new material and hope you are too. Please let us know about any questions.