Have you ever been amazed a 4-year-old can put together a complicated LEGO model? LEGO makes easy to follow graphical instruction booklets. No words necessary – you don’t even need to be old enough to read to do it!
Well, that was our inspiration behind the graphical instructions for our Folbots.
We made easy to follow [graphical] assembly instructions for each Folbot model. We also have examples of assembly on YouTube and worded instructions if you prefer that route. We hope we’ve made it as simple as possible to explain our assembly. We want you on the water enjoying your Folbot, not left behind assembling a kayak.
Ahhhh, the boat shoe. A classic. But did you ever wonder why they’re called boat shoes?
Sperry Top-Sider, Lanyard style
Sperry boat shoes have been a ingenious product from inception in 1935. After spending many years as a Marine, Paul Sperry, was looking for a shoe that wouldn’t slip on a wet boat surface. After seeing the traction his dog could get on slippery ice, he fashioned grooves like a dog’s paw on the rubber sole of the first–you got it–boat shoe!
Since that time, Sperry’s can be counted on for incomparable quality and innovation. The great thing about the top-siders is they dry quickly and seem to fit better after wearing them wet a few times. Also, they go great from work to play (and vice versa). And nowadays, they’re making everything from sneakers to sunglasses!
We can’t comment on the sunglasses, but if they’re half as good as their top-sider cousin, we’re sold.
Spring might be peeking around the corner in your neck of the woods. Or you may be heading out of town for Spring Break. Or you might just be dreaming of your Spring paddling. No matter the reason, we’ve got our list of…
2. Personal Flotation Device. We love the Astral V-Eight PFD. A lightweight, ergonomically designed PFD, it allows for maximum comfort for paddling.
3. Paddle. Can’t leave the land without it! Or at least you can’t go far. We recommend the Werner paddles. We sell a range of Werner paddles that vary based on size, weight, angles…and come in a variety of colors!
4. Water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
5. Sunscreen. Mission Essentials makes a great chemical-free sunscreen. We use it on the whole family!
6. Waterproof bag. DRY CASE is a flexible, clear bag that uses a vacuum seal to keep your phone dry. We know, ideally you could go off into the wilderness without a phone. But safety first!
7. Sunglasses. We love an old-school look with Ray-Ban Wayfarer glasses. Whatever your style, protect your eyes!
8. Sprayskirt. Bring our lightweight nylon sprayskirt with diagonal suspender to eliminate pooling on deck.
9. Paddle leash. Accidentally lost grip of your paddle? No worries. You’re wearing your paddle leash.
10. A snack. Low blood sugar is no way to paddle. We like to pack roasted almonds or granola bars.
There are several things to love about the Tarpent.
1. It’s ultra-portable. I mean, it’s basically two tarps. Fold them up and they weigh less than 2 pounds!
2. It’s super versatile. Do you need [waterproof] ground cover? Check. Want a one-man tent? Done.
3. It’s even handy in emergency situations! “Because the material reflects 90% of your body heat it can be used to wrap up in and keep someone warm in an emergency or in cold weather as a space blanket would. You can also use the silver side to reflect the sun…or to attract attention in an emergency.”
Poler makes some rad outdoor gear, but we’ve got to give a quick shout out to their Campfire Cologne. Or what you may also know as “matches.”
Last weekend, we hung out at the Bassmaster Classic. We met a lot of great people and got to try out some cool products. One that stands out is Simms gear.
Simms had a hurricane simulator set up. I put on Simms waders, booties, and a jacket (with hood). Then I stood in a booth that sprayed water and blew fans (simulating a hurricane…duh). I didn’t get a drop of water on my clothes or face! Incredible!
Based in Bozeman, Montana, Simms is gear made FOR outdoors-people BY outdoors-people. Some 20 years ago, their breathable waders were an innovative product with an innovative partnership (with the smart Gore-Tex people). Today, they still work to develop products that are new, needed, and comfortable (see their sun protection line).
We hope you don’t find yourself in a hurricane! But even in your regular paddling/fishing conditions, well-made gear can improve your experience. Simms gear is going to keep you dry…I have the [simulated] experience as proof!
Did you know there’s a safe and easy way to purify your water on the go? Aquatabs is a tablet that dissolves clear within minutes and disinfects the water within 30 minutes. They are the world’s no.1 water purification tablets, used by all major aid and peacekeeping agencies, NATO and other armed services around the world. (All that to say, Aquatabs is legit!)
For the paddler/camper/traveler, Aquatabs is easily portable and a great way to protect yourself and stay hydrated.
We’d love to hear from you. What do you use to ensure clean water on your trips?