Hello, Spring! Good to see you (finally).
As you plan your spring break, weekend outing, paddle-whenever-you-see-fit, etc, remember what our Flamingo Flotilla friends said….
YOU CAN TAKE IT WITH YOU!
Spring might be peeking around the corner in your neck of the woods. Or you may be heading out of town for Spring Break. Or you might just be dreaming of your Spring paddling. No matter the reason, we’ve got our list of…
Top Ten Must Haves on Your Paddle
2. Personal Flotation Device. We love the Astral V-Eight PFD. A lightweight, ergonomically designed PFD, it allows for maximum comfort for paddling.
3. Paddle. Can’t leave the land without it! Or at least you can’t go far. We recommend the Werner paddles. We sell a range of Werner paddles that vary based on size, weight, angles…and come in a variety of colors!
4. Water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
5. Sunscreen. Mission Essentials makes a great chemical-free sunscreen. We use it on the whole family!
6. Waterproof bag. DRY CASE is a flexible, clear bag that uses a vacuum seal to keep your phone dry. We know, ideally you could go off into the wilderness without a phone. But safety first!
8. Sprayskirt. Bring our lightweight nylon sprayskirt with diagonal suspender to eliminate pooling on deck.
9. Paddle leash. Accidentally lost grip of your paddle? No worries. You’re wearing your paddle leash.
10. A snack. Low blood sugar is no way to paddle. We like to pack roasted almonds or granola bars.
This past week marked the 13th annual Flamingo Flotilla. Every January, a group of Folboters meet in the Florida Everglades and paddle/hang/eat pancakes. The Flotilla is “organized” on the Folbot Forum and any/all are welcome!
One enthusiastic participant was on her way home from the Flamingo Flotilla and swung by the Folbot headquarters. A veteran Folboter, she already owns a Greenland II and an Aleut. But she wanted something lighter and faster. So we hit the water in a Kiawah. We’re happy to say she liked the Kiawah! So much that she bought one when we got on dry land.
Maybe next year you’ll see another Kiawah at the Flamingo Flotilla!
With summer upon us, there is no better time to get out on the water with your kayak. We’ve scoured the Internet to find the best kayak events happening this summer across North America. We found a wide range of events, everything from serious races to family friendly festivals. Here’s a breakdown of what’s going on in this summer in the Southeastern Region of the US. To see what events are going on elsewhere, click on the region you’re interested in: Canada, Northeast USA, Midwestern USA, Western USA.
|Jun 1-3||Hatteras Island, NC||OBX Paddle Palooza, for SUPs|
|Jun 2||Little Rock, AR||Arkansas Canoe & Kayak Race|
|Jun 2||Deerfield Beach, FL||Paddle For Humanity- Deerfield Beach|
|Jun 2||Meridian, MS||State Games Of Mississippi|
|Jun 2-3||Powdersville, SC||Saluda River Rally|
|Jun 9||Melbourne Beach, FL||Surfguys SUP race|
|Jun 9||Pensacola, FL||Kayak For A Cure- Pensacola|
|Jun 9||Roswell, GA||Back To The Chattahoochee Race Festival|
|Jun 9||Pine Knoll Shores, NC||Kayak For The Warriors|
|Jun 9||Farmville, VA||Appomattox River Co Super Demo & Sale|
|Jun 16||Memphis, TN||31st Outdoors Inc Canoe & Kayak Race|
|Jun 16||Ft. Lauderdale, FL||Kayak Against Cancer|
|Jun 16-22||Reidsville, GA||Paddle Georgia 2012|
|Jun 22-23||Crescent Beach, FL||Crescent Beach Challenge|
|Jul 4||Lexington, TN||Festival Of The Lakes “Lap On The Lake” 5K|
|Aug 4||Dawsonville, GA||Dawson County Jaycees Canoe & Kayak Race|
|Aug 11||Atlanta, GA||Paddle For The Cure Race and Fun Float|
|Aug 25||Savannah, GA||Savannah Paddlefest|
If you know of any other Kayak events happening in the Southeast this summer, drop us a line in the comments, and we’ll update our listings!
With summer upon us, there is no better time to get out on the water with your kayak. We’ve scoured the Internet to find the best kayak events happening this summer across North America. We found a wide range of events, everything from serious races to family friendly festivals. Here’s a breakdown of what’s going on in this summer in the Northeastern region of the United States. To see what events are going on elsewhere, click on the region you’re interested in: Canada, Southeastern US, Midwestern US, Western US.
If you know of any other Kayak events happening in the Northeast this summer, drop us a line in the comments, and we’ll update our listing!